Here are 10 great reasons I hike up big hills with my 6 year old daughter;
- She gets to see her parents set a good healthy & active example.
- She gets to play in the wonderful surroundings that we moved to Scotland to find.
- It is great undisturbed family time where we learn the value of teamwork.
- There is infinite opportunity for exploration, adventure and danger.
- She develops an appreciation of both the majesty and fragility of the outdoors.
- Doing this as a child I hope I hope will inspire her to do it as she gets older.
- She learns new skills in hiking, the countryside code, navigation, safety and nature.
- She is an excellent hill hiker (and delights in beating her parents to a summit).
- She is a keen hill hiker (and will request going hiking as an activity).
- She loves reaching a trig point.
Don’t get me wrong there are days when she doesn’t want to do it but there are days I don’t want to either but she has never reached a trig point or cairn and been disappointed. She is learning to respect her environment and what that environment means both locally and in bigger terms.
If you have a young adventurer in your family then get them and you started early in enjoying the outdoors., you don’t need big mountains to have a wonderful time (but they do help). Hiking with my 6 year old is a big win for child and parent – I cannot recommend it enough.